Christmas is coming!
Let’s celebrate this special time of year with 24 daily inspirations to bring a biophilic spirit into the holidays!
All ideas are easy to implement, most require no budget and some go beyond design, but all of them tap into a biophilic spirit. Hope they’ll contribute to making your holidays even more special this year!
- add a touch of Christmas to the entryway to welcome everyone entering your home (yourself included) into a warm and festive atmosphere
read more –> biophilic design room-by-room: the entryway
- go for a walk in nature and bring home at least one thing you’ll incorporate in your festive décor (branches, pinecones…)
read more –> biophilic design: flower and greenery arrangements for winter
- dim all lights when it’s dark outside and enjoy a slow transition into the evening
read more –> human centric lighting: raising wellbeing through light
- watch the sky out of the window: what’s happening? Clouds moving? Snow falling?
read more –> biophilic moodboards: outdoor views
- the effect of a crackling fire is uniquely calming. If you don’t have a fireplace, try playing a video with fire footage & sound; it will bring the magic in!
read more –> earth day 2020: embracing the 4 elements with biophilic design
- cook with seasonal and local ingredients this Christmas!
read more –> biophilic design room-by-room: the kitchen
- do what nature does in winter: carve some quiet time to just be during the holidays
- switch textiles and incorporate chunky knits, warming fabrics, and soft-touch textures throughout your home
read more –> biophilic moodboards: natural textures
- on your daily walk outside, record the changes you notice around your neighbourhood
- even if it’s cold outside, don’t forget to briefly open the windows once or twice a day and take a breath of fresh air
read more –> biophilic moodboards: designing for temperature & air variations
- notice the aroma of Christmas: pine tree, citrus, and spices' scents invading every space during the holidays
read more –> biophilic moodboards: designing interiors for all 5 senses
- enjoy winter's weather! snowing? go out and feel that chill on your face. too cold? then sit by the window and notice the snowfall while all sounds get dampened
- use Christmas lights to create sparkling moments around the home. let them be your only lighting before going to bed and soak in all the magic!
read more –> biophilic moodboards: leveraging the power of light in interiors
- create your own winter sensory map including a favourite natural smell, sound, texture, and taste from this season. Then make time to experience those sensations... enjoy!
- incorporate seasonal natural artwork in your festive décor, choosing scenes that reflect what winter looks like in your region
read more –> biophilic design: natural analogues
- add naturally scented ornaments to your Christmas tree this year
- use locally foraged twigs and herbs to decorate your gifts
read more –> sustainable christmas: gift wrapping and holiday cards ideas
- if you have an outdoor seating space try to make it accessible for winter with cozy blankets, hot water bottles, soft lighting, and warming festive beverages
read more –> the biophilic ingredients of indoor-outdoor spaces
- consider orienting your seating towards the Christmas tree, around the fireplace, or by the window to make space for gathering with a view
- make time for the people you love during the holidays, spend time together and say those precious unspoken words
- channel your inner child this Christmas: sit on the ground to open gifts, have a snowball fight, sing and play with loved ones...have fun!
- turn real leaves into name tags to enrich your festive table setting with a natural touch
read more –> biophilic christmas: decorating with nature
- make food decorative, maybe challenging yourself to reproduce natural shapes in your festive dishes
read more –> sustainable christmas: eco-friendly table decorations
- create a shared centerpiece, asking every guest to bring a natural element that feels like Christmas
That's a wrap!
A very Merry Christmas from my home to yours...wish you a warm and happy holiday season shared with your loved ones!